[Python-Dev] Exploration PEP : Concurrency for moderately massive (4 to 32 cores) multi-core architectures

Justin Tulloss tulloss2 at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 18 21:54:43 CEST 2007

On 9/18/07, Krishna Sankar <ksankar at doubleclix.net> wrote:

> Folks,
>    As a follow-up to the py3k discussions started by Bruce and Guido, I
> pinged Brett and he suggested I submit an exploratory proposal. Would
> appreciate insights, wisdom, the good, the bad and the ugly.

I am currently working on parallelizing python as an undergraduate
independent study. I plan on first removing the GIL with as little overall
effect as possible and then implementing a task-oriented threading API on
top, probably based on Stackless (since they already do a great job with
concurrency in a single thread).

If you're interested in all the details, I'd be happy to share. I haven't
gotten far yet (the semester just started!), but I feel that actually
implementing these things would be the best way to get a PEP through.

Justin