[Python-Dev] Decimal news

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Wed Sep 19 02:19:25 CEST 2007

On 9/13/07, Facundo Batista <facundobatista at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi people!
>
> After some months, Decimal is now in the trunk again.
>
> It's fully updated to the latest Cowlishaw specification, and
> complying with the latest test cases (from a few days ago, which even
> take in consideration some feedback from ours).
>
> I want to thank so much to Mark Dickinson, who made *a lot* of this
> work, not only the math part (he's a mathematician himself), but also
> a lot of cleaning and speeding up.
>
> Now we will put our hands in the documentation, for it to be 100% OK
> way before 2.6 arrives.
>
> Py3 will come after that.

Unfortunately, that's not how it works :-) If you check something into the
trunk, it will be merged into Py3k sooner or later. I may ask the original
submitter for assistance if it's incredibly hard to figure out the changes,
but so far, I only had to do that with the SSL changes. The decimal changes
are being merged as I write this (tests running now.) Is there anything in
particular that needs to be done for decimal in Py3k, besides renaming
__div__ to __truediv__?

If you re-eally need to check something into the trunk that re-eally must
not be merged into py3k, but you're afraid it's not going to be obvious to
the merger, please record the change as 'merged' using "svnmerge merge -M
-r<revision>". Please take care when picking the revision ;) You can also
just email me or someone else you see doing merges, as I doubt this will be
a common occurance.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!