[Python-Dev] Building Python with CMake

Alexander Neundorf alex.neundorf at kitware.com
Thu Sep 20 22:30:36 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Thursday 30 August 2007 16:28, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> The cmake files for building python are now in a cvs repository:
> http://www.cmake.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Utilities/CMakeBuildForPython/?roo
>t=ParaView3
>
> This is inside the ParaView3 repository:
> http://www.paraview.org/New/download.html
>
> I used them today to build Python from svn trunk.
>
> I'll add some documentation how to use them, how to get them and what works
> and what doesn't work tomorrow.

Ok, it took a bit longer.
The wiki page is here:
http://paraview.org/ParaView3/index.php/BuildingPythonWithCMake

With the cmake files from cvs you can build Python svn, which will become
Python 2.6.
It use it for Linux, IBM BlueGene/L and Cray Xt3 (in both cases for the
compute nodes, not the front end nodes).

It works also for Windows, but I didn't take the time to check that all the
configure checks deliver the correct results, so I just reused the premade
pyconfig.h there.

Most modules are built now. For every module you can select whether to build
it statically or dynamically or not at all. Source and binary packages can be
created using "make packages".

These files don't conflict with any files in Python svn, so if somebody is
interested adding them to Python svn shouldn't cause any problems.

Bye
Alex

P.S. due to moving I'll be mainly offline in the next weeks