[Python-Dev] [Distutils] FW: [issue2513] 64bit cross compilation on windows

Trent Nelson tnelson at onresolve.com
Wed Apr 2 09:37:14 CEST 2008

> Further, I
> assert that there are a greater number of build tools which do not support
> cross-compilation, but will build natively on x64 and expect 'PCBuild'
> to have libraries they can link with to create an x64 binary.

I'm with Martin on this one as well I think.  If I understand correctly, you're proposing:

PCbuild                 - may have contents of x86 or x64 depending
                          on the build machine's architecture
PCbuild/amd64   - always x64
PCbuild/x86             - always x86

And what we've currently got is:

PCbuild/                - always x86
PCbuild/amd64   - always x64

I think this is fine; we don't really have a notion of compiling for a native platform, nor is the build machine's architecture factored into the equation.  I believe this is a Good Thing.  If you want a 32-bit build, use the 'Win32' target platform in VS; if you want a 64-bit build, use 'x64'.

        Trent.