[Python-Dev] Tools\buildbot\kill_python.c can't be helping our cause

Trent Nelson tnelson at onresolve.com
Wed Apr 2 21:12:17 CEST 2008

> > That'll kill the first python_d.exe instance it finds matching the
> > given path; given that our buildbots run trunk/release25-maint/py3k
> > in parallel
>
> That's actually not a given: we currently *don't* run multiple builds
> simultaneously on the same slave.

I thought the slave lock only applied per branch, not per host?

> > Unless anyone advises otherwise, I'll start on a patch.
>
> If you can make it less error-prone, sure, go ahead.

Spent a bit of time on it this evening; as it happens, in order to enumerate 64-bit processes, you need to be a 64-bit process yourself.  As it's much easier managing 32-bit vs. x64 binaries when they're a .vcproj part of pcbuild.sln, I'm looking into adding kill_python as a .vcproj and configure the solution such that it builds and runs this before any other project.  That'll automatically take care of choosing the right version to run depending on whether 'Win32' or 'x64' is selected as the platform.  It'll also simplify the verification logic that checks if it's the right python_d.exe -- the path of the .exe needs to match the path of the running kill_python.exe.

        Trent.