[Python-Dev] fixing tests on windows

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Apr 4 02:34:18 CEST 2008

"Steven Bethard" <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d11dcfba0804031452m911e1f3w4ec68a5967d69656 at mail.gmail.com...
| On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
| >  "Tim Golden" <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote in message
| >  news:47F4DE23.3020202 at timgolden.me.uk...
| >
| > | [re tests which fail because something's holding a file
| >  | open with SHARE_DELETE]
| >
| >  There are a couple of things one can do in a directory's Properties
box
| >  (right click) to reduce interference.
| >  1. Under General/Advanced, uncheck 'allow Indexing Service' and click
Yes
| >  to recursively apply to subdirs and files.
| >  2. Under Sharing, check 'Make private'.  This is recursive, but only
works
| >  for dirs under My Documents or on Desktop.  This would be most useful,
| >  think, if buildbots run as a separate user.
| >  Have these already been done?
|
| We already know how to stop the errors from arising by modifying the
| Windows environment. In my particular case, it was sufficient to
| disable Windows Search Service and the TortoiseSVN Image Overlays.
| However, it would be *really* nice if the Python test suite just
| worked out of the box, and you didn't have to change your normal
| Windows environment.

If the testdir disallows the search indexer, then there should be no need
to disable Windows Search Service.  If privatizing the dir kept other
programs out, then likewise.

| Or were you suggesting that there is some programmatic way for the
| test suite to create directories that disallow the Search Service,
| etc.?

I suspect, but do not know, that the dialog box effects changes through
user-programmable interfaces.  So while I would start with manual changes
to see if that solves the problem, I presume there must be a system call
for changing dir attributes.

tjr