[Python-Dev] r62129 - in python/trunk: PCbuild/debug.vsprops PCbuild/kill_python.c PCbuild/kill_python.vcproj PCbuild/pcbuild.sln PCbuild/pythoncore.vcproj PCbuild/release.vsprops Tools/buildbot/Makefile Tools/buildbot/build-amd64.bat Tools/buildbot/bui...

Trent Nelson tnelson at onresolve.com
Fri Apr 4 12:57:15 CEST 2008

> I don't like the part where the solution kills the Python process during
> a rebuild. It's too surprising for the user.

Hmmm.  When you say rebuild, I assume you mean the change I made to the pythoncore project's pre-link step to call kill_python.exe, and not to the post-build step of kill_python that runs itself?  Personally, when I'm doing development, if I've got the pcbuild\python_d.exe console open, it's usually to test one liners, I'm not using it to do anything important.  If I forget to close it before I kick off a build, it's annoying running into errors at the link stage, I'd certainly prefer the build system to kill off anything that'll inhibit a successful link before actually linking.

What do others that do Windows development think?  I don't have a problem changing the build behaviour if the approach I've taken is generally disliked.

   Trent.