[Python-Dev] py3k: print function treats sep=None and end=None in an unintuitive way

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 15:57:08 CEST 2008

Alessandro Guido wrote:
> Can anybody please point me why print('a', 'b', sep=None, end=None) should
> produce "a b\n" instead of "ab"?
> I've read http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/library/functions.html#print, pep-3105 and some
> ml threads but did not find a good reason justifying such a strange behaviour.

So that print(a, b) does the right thing (i.e. matches the Python 2.x
print statement's behaviour)

sep=None, end=None means "use the default separator and line ending"
rather than "don't use a separator or line ending" (this is the same as
for most functions with optional arguments - you need to look at the
documentation of the function to find out what default values are used
when passing None for an optional argument).

That said, it does read oddly, so I'd advise against writing it out
explicitly like that - if you want the default, just leave out the
relevant argument.

Cheers,
Nick.