[Python-Dev] Changing all network-oriented tests to facilitate (virtually unlimited) parallel test execution [Issue#: 2550]

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Tue Apr 8 21:58:01 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 5:00 AM, Trent Nelson <tnelson at onresolve.com> wrote:

> I've forwarding my most recent update to issue 2550 here such that the
> proposed patch (and in general, the approach to network-oriented test cases)
> can be vetted by a wider audience:
>
> http://bugs.python.org/file9980/trunk.2550-2.patch
>
> This patch works towards fixing a large proportion of the tests that were
> written in such a way that often leads to buildbot errors when port
> conflicts arise.  With this patch applied, I can run many instances of the
> test suite in parallel and none of the network-oriented tests fail (which
> they do currently if you try and do this).
>
> Plenty of discussion (mostly me replying to my own comments) on the
> subject at: http://bugs.python.org/issue2550.
>
> Anyone have any issues with this new approach?  I'm particularily
> interested in whether or not people disagree with the assumption I've drawn
> regarding never using SO_REUSEADDR in tests for TCP/IP sockets (see below).
>
>    Trent.

I think your assumptions are fair.

Note that not using SO_REUSEADDR can reserve the port for a few minutes
beyond the actual unbinding destruction of the server socket on some OSes
but with tens of thousands of ports available and likely not more than 1-200
being needed by a full test suite run and how long the test suite takes to
run I think that is acceptable and is not a problem we're likely to ever run
into (fix it only iffwe ever do).

-gps