[Python-Dev] [Distutils] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 10:57:52 CEST 2008

On 19/03/2008, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> >  I'm currently working on an addition to pkgutil to provide this type
> >  of function. I'm considering going a little further (adding functions
> >  to get a file-like object, test for existence, and list available
> >  resources, modelled on the pkg_resources functions - but these extra
> >  ones are not supported by the loader protocol, so I'm undecided as to
> >  whether it's worth it, I'll see how complex the code gets).
>
> I'd only do what __loader__ offers. People can always wrap a StringIO around it.
>
> >  Once I have a patch, I'll post it to the tracker. What's the best
> >  approach? Code a patch for 3.0 and backport, or code for 2.6 and let
> >  the merging process do its stuff?
>
> Code for 2.6, let the merge do its thing.

I've had a patch in http://bugs.python.org/issue2439 for a few weeks
now. It just adds a get_data function, on the basis that that's all
the loader API offers. I think it's complete - Phillip Eby helped
thrash out a couple of problems.

Is there anything I can do to get it applied, or should I just leave
it now for someone to decide if they care enough? (As it's a library
change, I don't know to what extent the "no API changes after the next
alpha" rule will apply).

Paul.