[Python-Dev] A smarter shutil.copytree ?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 09:56:47 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:25 AM, Steven Bethard
<steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I have submitted a patch for review here: http://bugs.python.org/issue2663
>  >
>  >  glob-style patterns or a callable (for complex cases) can be provided
>  >  to filter out files or directories.
>
>  I'm not a big fan of the sequence-or-callable argument. Why not just
>  make it a callable argument, and supply a utility function so that you
>  can write something like::
>
>     exclude_func = shutil.excluding_patterns('*.tmp', 'test_dir2')
>     shutil.copytree(src_dir, dst_dir, exclude=exclude_func)
>
>  ?

I made another draft based on a single callable argument to try out:
http://bugs.python.org/file10073/shutil.copytree.filtering.patch

The callable takes the src directory + its content as a list, and
returns filter eligible for exclusion

That makes me wonder, like Alexander said on the bug tracker:
In the glob-style patterns callable, do we want to deal with absolute paths ?

Tarek