[Python-Dev] Python 2.6a2 execution times with various compilers

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Apr 28 08:22:26 CEST 2008

> Profile-guided optimization did not help much, as might be expected, it
> pushed about the same kind of optimization as the mtune/march combination.

> With gcc 4.1.3 i'm finding that profile guided optimization when trained
> on pybench or regrtest does make a measurable difference (2-5% overall
> time with 10-20% on some pybench tests).  I haven't run benchmarks enough
> times to be confident in my results yet, I'll report back with data once
> I have it.  I'm testing both pybench and regrtest as profiling training
runs.

It seems that profile guided optimization also offers some benefits on
Windows (eg,
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2007-May/072970.html), so it
might be worth trying to coordinate such efforts between platforms (eg, a
central document which holds results for all supported platforms sounds
worthwhile, and maybe sharing the top-level script that generates the
profile data, etc)

Cheers,

Mark