[Python-Dev] Milestones in IronPython

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Fri Aug 8 00:25:51 CEST 2008

We reached an important milestone in the IronPython project this week
with the release of IronPython 2.0 beta 4.  But it's not our code that
makes this release so remarkable -- it's yours, the Python developers.
 For the first time, Microsoft is including the standard Python
library as part of what you can download from CodePlex.  Previously,
users of IronPython who wanted to make use of the urllib module (to
give just one example) would have to download the CPython distribution
separately and then fiddle with the bits on the disk to make them work
together.  That is no longer the case.

Of course, this isn't any kind of great technical achievement -- but
it is legal and cultural progress here at Microsoft.  All of us
working on the IronPython and IronRuby projects are committed to
pulling the company in a more open source direction, so it's very
gratifying to see this happening.

Links:
http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=14353
http://devhawk.net/2008/08/06/Including+The+Batteries+In+IronPython.aspx

(IronPython 2.0 targets compatibility with Python 2.5.)

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curt at hagenlocher.org