[Python-Dev] Unicode 5.1.0

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Aug 22 17:05:05 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 6:42 AM, Facundo Batista
<facundobatista at gmail.com> wrote:
> - In view of jumping to a new standard at *this* point, what I'd like
> to have is a comprehensive test suite for unicodedata in a similar
> sense to what happens with Decimal... It would be great to have from
> the Unicode Consortium a series of test cases (in Python, or in
> something we could process), to verify that we support Unicode
> properly.

Unicode conformance isn't specified in the same way as Decimal
conformance. While there are certain algorithms that can be tested
(e.g. normalization, encoding, decoding), much of the conformance
requirements (AFAIK) are expressed in lots of words about providing
certain facilities etc. I don't actually think putting lots of effort
into this is well-spent; given the mechanical nature of the
translation from the unicode database files into C code (see
Tools/unicode/makeunicodedata.py) a bug in the translation is likely
to result in either bad C code or a systematic error that is easily
spotted.

> - We always could have a beta4 if it's necessary...

No way.

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> And another question: would it be hard for Google to maintain this separately
> until at least it's integrated to 3.1?

That's the plan.