[Python-Dev] Unicode 5.1.0

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 24 21:40:29 CEST 2008

> That's up to us. I don't know what the reason was for keeping the
> 3.2.0 database around -- does anyone here recall ever using it? For
> what?

It's needed for IDNA. The IDNA RFC requires that Unicode 3.2 is used
for performing IDNA (in particular, for determining what a valid domain
name is).

The IDNA people consider it security-relevant that it is
really the 3.2 database, and would probably consider it a serious
security bug if newer Python versions suddenly started to use newer
Unicode databases for IDNA.

At some point, IDNA might get updated to a newer version of the Unicode
spec; we can then drop 3.2 (and stick with whatever the RFC then
specifies).

Regards,
Martin