[Python-Dev] confusing exec error message in 3.0

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Aug 28 03:10:00 CEST 2008

2008/8/27 Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com>:
> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>
>> (using 3.0a4)
>
> ahem.  I could have sworn that I installed a beta, but I guess the Windows
builds weren't fully synchronized when I did that.  I still get the same
error after updating to 3.0b2, though.

It's still there. It's a hold-over from 2.x where opened files were indeed
usable for exec(). It was a rarely-used feature that turned out to be hard
to implement given the continued reliance of the parser on <stdio.h> while
the I/O system no longer uses that, so it was dropped with very little
protests.

Please do fix it!