[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 3.0 final

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Thu Dec 4 20:12:57 CET 2008

From: "A.M. Kuchling" <amk at amk.ca>
> I think we should also have a statement upon on python.org about
> future plans: e.g.
>
> * that there will be a Python 2.7 that will incorporate what we learn from
>  people trying to port,
> * that 3.1 will rearrange the standard library in mostly-known ways, and
> * that we expect people to use 3.0 mostly for compatibility testing,
>  not going into serious production use until 3.1 or maybe even 3.2.

The latter statement worries me.  It seems to unnecessarily undermine
adoption of 3.0.  It essentially says, "don't use this".  Is that what we want?
ISTM, 3.0 is in pretty good shape.  There is nothing intrinsically wrong
with it.  The number one adoption issue is external, i.e. how quickly
key third-party modules get converted.

Raymond