[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 3.0 final

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 22:11:47 CET 2008

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> * that 3.1 will rearrange the standard library in mostly-known ways, and
> * that we expect people to use 3.0 mostly for compatibility testing,
>   not going into serious production use until 3.1 or maybe even 3.2.

As Raymond notes, this is probably too negative: for new projects, 3.0
should be fine so long as they don't need too many external libraries in
the short term.

For projects migrating from Python 2.x, the 3rd party library support
problem is likely to hold a lot of projects back for several months at
least, possibly to the point where it makes more sense to just wait for
2.7/3.1 to finalise any migration plans.

Such projects are still well-advised to start their porting efforts as
soon as possible though so they can identify *which* of their external
dependencies don't have python 3.0 compatible versions available yet.

Cheers,
Nick.