[Python-Dev] Merging mailing lists

Janzert janzert at janzert.com
Fri Dec 5 01:20:57 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> I would like to merge mailing lists, now that the design and first
> implementation of Python 3000 is complete. In particular, I would
> like to merge the python-3000 mailing list back into python-dev,
> and the python-3000-checkins mailing list back into python-checkins.
> The rationale is to simplify usage of the lists, and to avoid
> cross-postings.
>
> To implement this, all subscribers of the 3000 mailing lists would
> be added to the trunk mailing lists (avoiding duplicates, of course),
> and all automated messages going to python-3000-checkins would then
> be directed to the trunk lists. The 3000 mailing lists would change
> into read-only mode (i.e. primarily leaving the archives behind).
>
> Any objections?
>
> Regards,
> Martin

I like the general sentiment, but I think it may be a bad idea to
automatically bring all the subscribers from the -3000 lists over to the
more general lists. For instance if someone has an address subscribed
specifically to archive the -3000 list suddenly it will begin archiving
the other. I would rather just see a final announcement to switch to the
other list and then close the list to further submissions. Let people
join the new appropriate list manually if needed.

Otherwise +1 on getting the discussion and checkins back into combined
lists.

Janzert