[Python-Dev] Python-3.0, unicode, and os.environ

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Fri Dec 5 04:55:50 CET 2008

On 02:32 am, rhamph at gmail.com wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:14 PM, James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> wrote:

>>FWIW, I still agree with Martin that that's the most reasonable
>>solution.
>
>It died because nobody presented a viable solution, and I maintain no
>solution is possible.  All suggestions involve arbitrary
>transformations that fail to round trip correctly at some point or
>another.  They're simply about shuffling the failure around to
>somewhere the poster happens to like.
>
>Please, if you have a *new* idea that doesn't have a failure mode, by
>all means post it.  But don't resurrect a pointless bikeshed.

Despite my objection to the funny-encoding strategy (which I've
documented thoroughly in my other message to this thread) this isn't
accurate.  The PUA solution doesn't work, but using NUL does.  This was
proposed last time, as a copy of what Mono does.  You can't get a NUL in
os.environ or a filename; it's not valid.  So, it works fine as an
escape character.  It can round-trip perfectly.