[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 3.0 final

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Dec 5 07:05:05 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 9:40 PM,  <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:
> The default case, the case of the user without the wherewithal
> to understand the nuances of the distinction between 2.x and 3.x, is a user
> who should use 2.x.

Not at all clear. If they're not sensitive to those nuances it's just
as likely that they're a casual developer (e.g. a student just
learning to program). Such users are unlikely to start using major 3rd
party packages like Twisted or Django, which would be completely
overwhelming to someone just learning. As shown in
http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/nde/papers/teachpy3.html, Python 3.0
removes quite a few warts that are likely to trip up learners.

Once they are ready (probably under the wings of some guru) to dive
deeper, they may have to learn about 2.6 and how it differs -- that's
a useful exercise by itself, but if I'm right, most learners won't
have to go there because by the time they get to that point, the 3.0
ecosystem has matured enough to support their needs.