[Python-Dev] Python-3.0, unicode, and os.environ

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Dec 5 08:00:35 CET 2008

> Please, if you have a *new* idea that doesn't have a failure mode, by
> all means post it.  But don't resurrect a pointless bikeshed.

While I completely agree that it is pointless to reiterate the same
arguments over and over, I disagree that the bikeshed metapher applies.
This metapher (IIUC) describes a trivial design issue that is merely
a matter of taste, rather than having deep technical implications.
Using Unicode or bytes for strings is not of that kind.

Regards,
Martin