[Python-Dev] Merging flow

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Sat Dec 6 00:09:53 CET 2008

On Dec 5, 2008, at 5:31 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> I think we're discovering the real reasons why people generally prefer
> to use a DVCS when trying to manage multiple branches :P

Really?  I don't.  The issue has nothing to do with someone
maintaining private change sets, or wanting to do development with
local commits without having access to commit to the project.

I expect (and someone from work has said they do as well) that
Subversion 1.5's merge tracking would have handled this situation.

> For now it looks like we might have to maintain 3.0 manually, with
> svnmerge only helping out for trunk->2.6 and trunk->py3k...

I don't know if I'll have time to look at svnmerge this weekend (with
house guests and all), but I really don't expect it's a difficult
problem to solve in the tool.  The behavior suggests that this tiered
set of branch relationships wasn't expected.

   -Fred

--
Fred Drake   <fdrake at acm.org>