[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 3.0 final

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Sat Dec 6 01:49:08 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 19:10, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:27 PM,  <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:
> > With all due respect, for me, "library support" and "serious use" are
> > synonymous.
>
> Glyph, I cannot have a discussion with you if every single post of
> yours is longer than my combined daily output. Please spend some time
> writing shorter posts. I'm sure I'm not the only one here with a short
> attention span. :-)

Allow me to paraphrase glyph (with whom I'm in complete agreement, for what
it's worth): many newbies will be disappointed by Python if they start with
Python 3.0 and discover that most of the cool possibilities they had heard
about are 'being worked on' and not quite ready. I don't doubt that 3.0 will
be easier for the new programmer to learn, but I do not believe the average
"Oh, I heard about Python, let's learn it" person should be pointed to 3.0
right now. They should be encouraged to learn 2.6 -- or even 2.5.

In spite of Python being a programming language, there is a difference
between 'casual user of the language' and 'library developer'; 3.0 is
certainly a must for all actual library developers, and I'm sure most of
them know about 3.0 by now. We're talking about first impressions for people
without that knowledge.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!