[Python-Dev] Python-3.0, unicode, and os.environ

Bugbee, Larry larry.bugbee at boeing.com
Sat Dec 6 07:18:37 CET 2008

There has been some discussion here that users should use the str or
byte function variant based on what is relevant to their system, for
example when getting a list of file names or opening a file.  That
thought process really doesn't do much for those of us that write code
that needs to run on any platform type, without alteration or the
addition of complex if-statements and/or exceptions.

Whatever the resolution here, and those of you addressing this thorny
issue have my admiration, the solution should be such that it gives
consistent behavior regardless of platform type and doesn't require the
programmer to know of all the minute details of each possible target
platform.

That may not be possible for a while, so interim solutions should be
such that it minimizes later pain.  If that means hiding "implementation
details" behind a new function, so be it.  Then, at least, the body of
one's app is not burdened with this problem later when conditions
change.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with hard problems.  ;-)

Larry