[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 3.0 final

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Dec 7 01:20:32 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> But I do *not* think it is a good idea to emphasize elsewhere that
> most people shouldn't use Python 3.0. Py3k will have a hard enough
> time gaining mindshare without the very developers who created
> it discouraging its use. If you can't find it in your heart to
> recommend 3.0, can you at least keep that within your circle of
> library-producing friends?

Sorry, I don't think I can do that.  It's difficult-to-impossible to leap
straight from Python 2.2 or 2.3 to 3.0, and I think that most released
Python software still ought to support versions going back that far.
Unless someone plans to use Python only on machines where they can
guarantee availability of 3.0, I think that sticking with 2.x is the
prudent course.

Then again, until the release of 3.0, I was still advocating the use of
classic classes in the 2.x series, and I haven't yet decided whether I
should change that stance now that there is a released version of Python
where new-style classes are the default.

I believe that it would be a shame and a disservice to Python if there
were a large proportion of the Python community that discouraged the use
of 3.0; I also believe it would be a shame and a disservice to Python if
you (and other people) tell conservatives like me that we should keep our
mouths shut.

--Bill Harlan