[Python-Dev] 3.0.1 possibilities

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Dec 7 14:38:58 CET 2008

Brett Cannon wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 15:41, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 6, 2008, at 6:25 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>> I've set the priority on all these to release blockers, but I have my
>> reservations about 4561 and 4565.  Resolution of those seem like more than a
>> week or so away.
>>
>> If we want to do a bug fix release for 3.0.1, I'd like to do it no later
>> than the 19th.
>>

> +1 just to get rid of cmp(). And if io speedups can happen, great, but
> they can also wait for 3.0.2.

A point release just to remove a function whose withdrawal has been
advertised as a 3.0 change hardly seems worth the substantial effort of
cutting a release. If cmp() shouldn't have been in 3.0 and was then
there's surely no problem about removing it later as promised: anyone
who uses it in 3.0 code shouldn't be.

If it doesn't have to wait for a major release then is there any real
need to cut the minor release immediately?

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119