[Python-Dev] 3.0.1 possibilities

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Mon Dec 8 01:05:13 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> I think it is still timely when fixed in January or February.
> In fact, releasing it still in December might not be possible,
> due to the limited time available.

The cmp() / PyObject_Compare() removal patch is almost done. With some
help I can finish it until Tuesday evening. We can have another release
by Monday Dec 15th. Python 3.0.0 has some defects that should be fixed
before people are spending their Xmas holidays with 3.0. The defects include

* cmp(), PyObject_Compare() and frieds
* global/nonlocal shortcuts (global x = 0) aren't working
* unnecessary slowdown of read() due slow buffer resizing.

An early 3.0.1 release makes it possible to sync 2.6 and 3.0 relases
again. If we release it now we can have an combined release of 2.6.2 and
3.0.2 in two months from now. Two months are quite some time to fix the
performance issue of the new IO library.

If Guido and Barry are fine with a lax policy on performance fixes we
can integrate more tweaks. I believe performances patches were
considered as features in the past. For this reason they weren't allowed
for minor releases. Mark's work on long integer optimizations and json
speedup are good candidates.

Christian