[Python-Dev] Python-3.0, unicode, and os.environ

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Mon Dec 8 18:56:21 CET 2008

> - I think the binary and Unicode APIs should be available (and fully
> functional) on all platforms (including Windows) so that app developers
> don't create portability problems for themselves when they make the
> decision as to which API to use

+1

I'm perhaps biased here; most of my Python programs don't have user
interfaces, because they don't "talk" to people, they talk to other
programs.  The binary APIs for the OS are essential.  I use and
deeply appreciate all the string handling features in Python,
particularly its firm grip on Unicode issues, but that's *useful*
instead of *essential*.

Bill