[Python-Dev] Python-3.0, unicode, and os.environ

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Dec 8 22:01:40 CET 2008

On 2008-12-08 21:45, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg <mal <at> egenix.com> writes:
>> Such application specific error handlers could then also apply
>> whatever fancy round-trip safe encoding of non-decodable bytes
>> to Unicode escapes, private code points, etc. as seen fit by the
>> application.
>
> I'd argue that such fancy round-trip safe error handler should be provided by
> Python. It's not reasonable to expect application coders to come up with their
> own codec variation based on subtle details of the unicode spec.

Fair enough. We could add some e.g.

 * a round-trip safe escape error handler that uses a Unicode private
   code point area which we officially reserve for the Python
   interpreter

 * a human readable escape error handler that encodes the problem
   bytes to say hex escapes, e.g. gives Andr\xe9 for a Latin-1
   encoded directory name instead of failing

 * a warning error handler that replaces the problem cases with
   a question mark and issues a warning through the warning
   framework

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 08 2008)
2008-12-02: Released mxODBC.Connect 1.0.0      http://python.egenix.com/

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/