[Python-Dev] Merging flow

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 13:18:31 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:
>> Was there ever a conclusion to this? I need to merge the patches
>> associated with issue 4597 from trunk to all the maintenance branches,
>> and I'd like to avoid messing anyone up if possible. If I don't hear
>> back, I'll plan to svnmerge directly from trunk to each of the
>> branches, and then block my merge to py3k from being merged again to
>> release30-maint.
>
> No - you should merge from the py3k branch to the release30-maint branch.

I believe that's difficult when you previously merged from the trunk to
the py3k branch - the merged change to the svnmerge related properties
on the root directory gets in the way when svnmerge attempts to update
them on the maintenance branch.

That's what started this thread, and so far nobody has come up with a
workaround. It seems to me that svnmerge.py should just be able to do a
svn revert on the affected properties in the maintenance branch before
it attempts to modify them, but my svn-fu isn't strong enough for me to
say that for sure.

Cheers,
Nick.