[Python-Dev] Trap SIGSEGV and SIGFPE

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Dec 11 21:05:39 CET 2008

> On Dec 11, 2008, at 12:12 AM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> Several people already said (essentially) that: -1. I don't think such
>> code should be added to the Python core, no matter how smart or correct
>> it is.
>

> does your -1 apply only to attempts to resume execution after SIGSEGV,
> or also to the idea of dumping the stack and immediately exiting? The
> former strikes me as crazy talk, while the latter is genuinely useful.

Only to the former. If it is actually possible to print a stack trace,
that could be useful indeed. I'm then skeptical that this is possible
in the general case (i.e. displaying the full C stack), but displaying
(parts of) the Python stack might be possible. I think it should still
proceed to dump core, so that you can then inspect the core with a
proper debugger.

Regards,
Martin