[Python-Dev] The endless GIL debate: why not remove thread support instead?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 11:52:46 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 02:13, Sturla Molden <sturla at molden.no> wrote:
> I genuinely think the use of threads should be discouraged. It leads to
> code that are full of bugs and difficult to maintain - race conditions,
> deadlocks, and livelocks are common pitfalls.

The use of threads for load balancing should be discouraged, yes. That
is not what they are designed for. Threads are designed to allow
blocking processes to go on in the background without blocking the
main process. This, they are very useful for. Removing thread support
would therefore be a very big mistake. It's needed, it has it's uses,
just not the one *you* want.

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64