[Python-Dev] Psyco for -OO or -O

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Dec 13 14:28:37 CET 2008

Lie Ryan wrote:
> I'm sure probably most of you knows about psyco[1], the optimizer. Python
> has an -O and -OO flag that is intended to be optimization flag, but we
> know that currently it doesn't do much. Why not add psyco as standard
> library and let -O or -OO invoke psyco?

This really belongs on Python-ideas and not Python-dev.

The main reason why not is that someone(s) from the Python core team
would then need to 'own' maintaining Psyco (which is x86 only as well).
Psyco is so hard to maintain that even the original author wants to drop
it. :-)

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog