[Python-Dev] Reindenting the C code base?

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 18:43:28 CET 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>> Guido van Rossum <guido <at> python.org> writes:
>>>
>>> I think we should not do this. We should use 4 space indents for new
>>> files, but existing files should not be reindented.
>>
>> Well, right now many files are indented with a mix of spaces and tabs, depending
>> on who did the edit and how their editor was configured at the time.
>
> That's  a shame. We used to have more rigorous standards than allowing that.
>
>> Perhaps a graceful policy would be to mandate that all new edits be made with
>> spaces without touching other functions in the file. Then hopefully the code
>> base would gradually converge to a tabless scheme.
>
> I don't think so. I find local consistency more important than global
> consistency. A file can become really hard to read when different
> indentation schemes are used in random parts of the code.
>
> If you have a problem configuring your editor, just say so and someone
> will explain how to do it.

I've never figured out how to configure emacs to deduce whether the
current file uses spaces or tabs and has a 4 or 8 space indent. I
always try to get it right anyway, but it'd be a lot more convenient
if my editor did it for me. If there are such instructions, perhaps
they should be added to PEPs 7 and 8?

Thanks,
Jeffrey