[Python-Dev] Problem with svn on community buildbot

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 23:38:12 CET 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 5:18 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> I've found a work-around in Firefox: go to about:config page an change
>> network.dns.disableIPv6 to true.
>
> I'd advise against using such a work-around. The infrastructure is
> designed to cope with that case transparently; if it is not transparent,
> your system must be somehow misconfigured ...

I've never had similar issues with any site other than those in
python.org domain and I had these problems with bug.python.org on
several systems in different locations.

Another work-around, which happens to work for all browsers and svn is
to disable IPv6 in network preferences (my system is Mac OS 10.5.5).
since I don't have IPv6 connectivity, I think this is a solution I can
live with, but I wonder why is it necessary for python.org to be
registered as both an IPv4 and v6 domain?  Google does not do that:

$ host google.com
google.com has address 72.14.205.100
google.com has address 74.125.45.100
google.com has address 209.85.171.100
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp4.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp1.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp2.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp3.google.com.
$ host ipv6.google.com
ipv6.google.com is an alias for ipv6.l.google.com.
ipv6.l.google.com has IPv6 address 2001:4860:0:2001::68