[Python-Dev] Reindenting the C code base?

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 10:26:55 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> I think we should not do this. We should use 4 space indents for new
> files, but existing files should not be reindented. If you reindent,
> much of the history of the file is essentially lost -- "svn blame"
> will blame whoever reindented the code, and it's a pain to go back.
> There's also the issue of merging between the 2.x and 3.x branches,
> which we still do.

"svnadmin dump" produces pretty munchable text file to pretend that
there were no tabs at all. The problem may be to sync working copies
with old new repository.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.ref.svnadmin.c.dump.html

svn pre-commit hook can be used to avoid any unescaped tabs in future commits.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.ref.reposhooks.pre-commit.html

Adding pre-commit hook is better than adding editor-specific comments,
because it doesn't require your editor to support the syntax -
regardless of editor you will have to convert tabs file to spaces
anyway.

--
--anatoly t.