[Python-Dev] Calling the GC less often when there are lots of long-lived objects

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Dec 17 23:55:54 CET 2008

> I've removed the threshold in the latest patches because it didn't make much
> sense when a few long-lived objects contained a lot of objects not tracked by
> the GC.
>
> Another improvement I've included in the latest patches (but which is
> orthogonal to the algorithmic change) is that simple tuples and even simple
> dicts are not tracked by the GC if they don't need to. A few examples
> (gc.is_tracked() is a new function which returns True if an object is tracked
> by the GC):

As they are orthogonal, I think they should be considered separately,
but in particular committed separately. FWIW, I'm in favor of both
(but haven't reviewed the non-cyclic tuples one yet).

So despite the organizational overhead, I'd appreciate if you could
create separate patches, if not separate issues.

Regards,
Martin