[Python-Dev] Releasing 2.5.4

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Tue Dec 23 15:04:51 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> My understanding of the problem is that clearerr() needs to be called
>> before any FILE read operations on *some* platforms. The only platform I
>> saw mentioned was OS X. Towards that end, I have attached a much simpler
>> patch onto the tracker issue, which maybe somebody can verify solves the
>> problem because I do not have access to a platform which fails the test
>> that was originally given.
>
> Thanks. I won't then reject the patch outright, only revert it from 2.5.
> I can't give this a second try, as 2.5.3 was already supposed to be the
> last release - I don't want to find myself reverting your patch two
> weeks from now.

I agree, and as far as I can tell, the bug (assuming the report is
accurate) only occurs on a few platforms and since it's received little
attention over the life of the issue on the tracker, I imagine it's not
very important to many people. And since I don't have an effected
platform to test, I can't even be sure that it really solves the bug.
So, I agree leave it out.

> Is the approach that you add a clearerr call is added for each read
> operation?

Yes, I merely added clearerr() calls just prior to first the fread,
fgets, and getc calls in each of the read methods for files. I'll make a
clean patch against the trunk and update the issue on the tracker, then
maybe the reporter or someone else with an effected platform can verify
my patch.

-Scott

--
Scott Dial