[Python-Dev] Should there be a way or API for retrieving from a code object a loader method and package file where the code comes from?

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Tue Dec 23 17:55:00 CET 2008

Nick Coghlan writes:
 > 3. Do what a number of standard library APIs (e.g. linecache) that
 > accept filenames do and also accept an optional "module globals"
 > argument.

Actually, I did this and committed a change (to pydb) before posting
any of these queries. ;-)

If "a number of standard library APIs" are doing the *same* thing,
then shouldn't this exposed as a common routine?

If on the other hand, by "a number" you mean "one" as in linecache --
1 *is* a number too! -- then perhaps the relevant code that is buried
inside the "updatecache" should be exposed on its own.  (As a side
benefit that code can be tested separately too!)

Should I file a feature request for this?