[Python-Dev] Any Emacs tips for core developers?

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Mon Feb 4 19:57:03 CET 2008

Brett Cannon schrieb:
> I noticed on the download page that http://www.python.org/emacs is
> listed as the place to get your modes for Python development (which
> seemed to lack any mention of Vim and the support in svn; a slight
> bias =). Is this true for core development as well?
>
> Basically if someone can tell me the best place to download stuff and
> a bullet point or three for core dev new developers who use Emacs will
> thank you.

As others have said, out of the box support (python.el) is already quite
good (I'm using a patched version of python-mode.el though) -- the C mode
is good too -- my Emacs has a built-in style (for c-set-style) named
"python" for editing old-style (tabbed) CPython code, a style for new-style
CPython code can be found at http://wiki.python.org/moin/NeedForSpeed/IRCLog
(look for "python-new").

Cscope has excellent Emacs support and is helpful for navigation through
the C source.

GUD (the Emacs debugger interface) works well with gdb and pdb.

For the documentation, the Docutils svn includes a rst-mode.el (at
http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/docutils/trunk/docutils/tools/editors/emacs/).

For those who like graphical file browsers (TextMate *cough*), there's
ECB which also parses Python file structure.

Nice snippets:

;; highlight XXX style code tags in source files
(font-lock-add-keywords 'python-mode
  '(("\\<\\(FIXME\\|HACK\\|XXX\\|TODO\\)" 1 font-lock-warning-face prepend)))

;; good for defeating the whitespace-normalization commit hook
(set-variable 'show-trailing-whitespace 1)

;; Custom margin keys (useful for Python indentation)
(global-set-key [?\M-\C-+] 'increase-left-margin)
(global-set-key [?\M-\C--] 'decrease-left-margin)

Georg