[Python-Dev] Nosy lists on issue tracker.

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Feb 20 01:24:10 CET 2008

"Martin v. Löwis" writes:

 > > What is the policy regarding nosy lists? Is it appropriate it add people
 > > to it besides oneself? As I cannot assign items, I'm sometimes tempted
 > > to add someone relevant to the list. (ie Should I add Georg to
 > > documentation related issues?)
 >
 > I would find it appropriate.

My personal feeling is that it depends on the person.  Some people may
be prefer to "pull" their issues by searching the tracker regularly,
or to read the regular Tracker reports.

Overall, in my own project I want developers to think of the tracker
as their friend, as an aid to getting the work done that they want
done, rather than as a proxy nanny looking out for user interests.
The problem of looking out for user interests is important, but IMO a
nanny tracker would be counterproductive (nb I have no experience to
back that up).  I intend to address that by further encouraging
developers to "own" the users' problems.

 > In theory, there should be auto-assignment, but that isn't really
 > implemented, and I don't know whether Georg would want to be
 > auto-assigned Documentation or Sphinx issues.

I haven't looked closely at the Python tracker, but I noticed that you
have a "busybody" detector.  I thought that requesting to be on the
nosy list was what this detector was for?