[Python-Dev] Unit Test Guide

Virgil Dupras hsoft at hardcoded.net
Thu Feb 21 12:30:25 CET 2008

Hi devs,

Being a python dev newbie, I look in http://www.python.org/dev/ for
some guide to write unit tests in python and I can't find any.
Specifically, I'd like to know about files managements in tests. Is
every test expected to clean after itself, or is there an automatic
cleanup mechanism in place? Even more specifically, I'd like to create
a test for the proposed patch in http://bugs.python.org/issue2127 so I
need to create a subdir with non-ascii character in it, then connect
to a db in it. So, do I need to do the cleanup in the test? Is there a
special path I can write to that will automatically be cleaned up? If
not, wouldn't it be a good idea to have one?

I guess I could find the answer in regrtest.py, but frankly, this unit
is a little bit overwhelming.

If there is no guide, am I the only one to think it would be a good
idea to have one (Yeah, I could volunteer to write it)?

Virgil