[Python-Dev] Backporting PEP 3127 to trunk

Eric Smith eric+python-dev at trueblade.com
Fri Feb 22 03:21:00 CET 2008

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> [Eric Smith]
>> I'm going to work on backporting PEP 3127, specifically
>> the hex, oct(), and bin() builtins.
>
> IMO, these should not be backported. They are strongly
> associated with 3.0's new literal syntax.  They don't
> don't really fit in with 2.6 and don't make 2.6 any more
> attractive.

I'm just going by what's on the spreadsheet.  I assumed that these were
all vetted.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pCKY4oaXnT81FrGo3ShGHGg&gid=2

Speaking for myself, these features are generally useful, and are so
even without the new integer literal syntax.  Their existence would make
2.6 more attractive to me.

Eric.