[Python-Dev] Backporting PEP 3127 to trunk

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Fri Feb 22 03:54:06 CET 2008

[Eric Smith]
> Speaking for myself, these features are generally useful,
> and are so even without the new integer literal syntax.

I'm curious how these are useful to you in Py2.6 where
they are not invertible.  In Py3.0, we can count on

  x == int(bin(x), 2)
  x == eval(bin(x))

I don't see how these could work in Py2.6 without
changing the parser and changing the int() function.

Why would you ever want to create a string like
'0o144' when there is no way to convert the string
back into a value?

Having both 0123 and 0o123 in the same version of
language will create a confused mess, IMO.

We should draw the line on Py3.0 backports whenever
the two different models would be conflated
(i.e. str/unicode vs bytes/text or 0123 vs 0o123).

Raymond