[Python-Dev] February bug day outcome

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 07:45:09 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven
<asmodai at in-nomine.org> wrote:
> -On [20080226 06:05], Neal Norwitz (nnorwitz at gmail.com) wrote:
>  >  sparc solaris10
>  >  amd64 gentoo (this is really an ubuntu 6.10 box)
>  >  x86 gentoo (*)
>  >  g4 os x (this one has svn problems from time to time which is odd
>  >given that it is the only box colocated with the svn server)
>  >  some win xp box (#4 wfm, i think that has been the most stable recently)
>  >  ia64 ubuntu
>  >  ppc debian (this may be ubuntu also)
>  >  ppc64 debian (ditto)
>
>  Might make sense to add at least one BSD box to the mix, generally when 1
>  BSD build works it should be quite similar on the rest. The above is a bit
>  heavy on the Linux (glibc) side and will not really expose problems on that
>  front aside from the commercial Solaris and OS X.

I agree with the theory.  However, we have only a single BSD box
currently working and it has been flaky.  Primarily test_smtplib has
been failing sporadically on it.  For example:

test test_smtplib failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/home/db3l/buildarea/trunk.bolen-freebsd/build/Lib/test/test_smtplib.py",
line 375, in testBasic
    smtp = smtplib.SMTP(HOST, PORT, local_hostname='localhost', timeout=3)
  File "/usr/home/db3l/buildarea/trunk.bolen-freebsd/build/Lib/smtplib.py",
line 237, in __init__
    (code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
  File "/usr/home/db3l/buildarea/trunk.bolen-freebsd/build/Lib/smtplib.py",
line 294, in connect
    (code, msg) = self.getreply()
  File "/usr/home/db3l/buildarea/trunk.bolen-freebsd/build/Lib/smtplib.py",
line 335, in getreply
    line = self.file.readline()
  File "/usr/home/db3l/buildarea/trunk.bolen-freebsd/build/Lib/socket.py",
line 369, in readline
    data = self._sock.recv(self._rbufsize)
timeout: timed out

Ugh.  I just looked at the test and see all the sleeps.  I'll speed
this test up by using events which will also hopefully reduce the
flakiness.  It currently takes 28 seconds.  That should be decreased
significantly.