[Python-Dev] Python 2.6 and 3.0

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Tue Feb 26 01:11:26 CET 2008

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> From the follow ups, it sounds like others can pitch in here.  A
> question though: is it reasonable to hold up the monthly release because
> a binary build we're going to make available can't be done at the same
> time?
> My preference (at least for the alphas) is "no".  If we can make a
> source release, and if we can build a binary release from exactly the
> same revision, then we should go ahead and release.  I'd rather get the
> alpha out there and in people's hands.
> We'll almost certainly be stricter for the candidates, finals, and maybe
> betas.

I agree. It's not reasonable to hold of alphas because the Windows
binaries may be released a few days later. Do we need official Windows
binaries for alphas at all? Martin's buildbot creates nightly Windows
builds. We could point users to the nightly builds and ask them to test
the version.

> Dang.  I actually don't know how long it's going to take me to do the
> source release, but I hope it's no more than 3 or 4 hours.

I guess it's less than 2 hours. You can prepare most of the work like
the announcements a couple of days earlier. I (perhaps naively) assume
you have to smack the whip to get everything in place, do the svn cp to
tag, svn export, tar cz, tar xzf && ./configure && make && make test
dance and upload the tar.gz. Am I missing something important? :]

> When's the PSF gonna start hiring? :)

Dunno :) But I'm probably the last in a long line of Python core
developers to get hired. Don't forget I'm still fresh and a junior core
developer. *jk*

> So, as I mentioned in my last reply, I'm planning to only allow critical
> bugs (as described in roundup) hold up the release.  Right now there are
> no critical bugs open.

#1569 is critical but not important enough to stop an alpha. As I said
in the other mail it should be fixed for the first beta and must be
fixed for the first rc.


More information about the Python-Dev mailing list