[Python-Dev] Buildbots for trunk are all red

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 16:43:08 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:47 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>  Well, in my opinion "batteries included" is great, but not when one of
>  the batteries consistently acts up and requires a good shake to get
>  working again. The bsddb module has consistent reliability issues when
>  it comes to testing (and I suspect it has more to do with Sleepycat
>  than the bindings). I know I am tired of getting buildbot errors
>  saying that the bsddb tests died more consistently than most tests
>  over their history.

I agree that bsddb has been a pain.  It's about 1 of 10 tests that
fill that category.  I've been working on reducing these problems
(recently: test_bsddb3, test_smptlib, test_xmlrpclib, and I'm sure
there are others I forgot).  Rather than remove modules, it would be
more productive if we fixed the flaky tests.  Then we wouldn't have to
ignore failures, we could trust the buildbots.  test_urllib*net tests
still fail regularly, I think because some hosts aren't available from
time to time.  Can someone look into making test_urllib*net more

We also need to make the tests more robust.  By fixing test_smtplib, I
sped it up by over 99% while making it more robust.  Any test that
uses threads and sleeps (really just sleeps) needs to be fixed
similarly.  Can someone find which tests still use sleep?