[Python-Dev] Code freeze?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 13:39:42 CET 2008

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Think of it this way: the alphas are for /us/ as much as for our users.

In that vein, I think the monthly alphas may also help as a means for
setting personal deadlines for things we're working on. "Implement for
2.6" is a bit of a wishy-washy deadline at some vague point in the
future - it doesn't provide much impetus to sit down and spend an
afternoon or evening getting it done. "Implement for next 2.6 alpha,
which will be cut in 3 weeks, 2 days and 16 hours" is a real concrete
target that can be aimed for (even if I'm the only person that knows I'm
aiming for it for a given bug fix or feature).

It should also motivate at least a monthly review of the buildbot
status, and is already motivating a push towards making the buildbots a
more reliable indicator of the health of the source tree.

Sure, they may mostly be internal milestones (with third parties waiting
for a feature-complete alpha or the first beta), but I think there is a
decent chance the approach will turn out to be beneficial.

Cheers,
Nick.