[Python-Dev] Contributing to Python

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu Jan 3 22:02:24 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 02:49:27PM -0500, Fred Drake wrote:
> Python 2.6 seems to be entirely targeted at people who really want to
> be on Python 3, but have code that will need to be ported.  I
> certainly don't view it as interesting in its own right.

The bulk of the *language* changes in 2.6 are driven by 3.0, but the
abstract base class support is fairly significant even if you don't
plan on going to 3.0.

There are a fair number of new features in the library: Bill's new SSL
code, collections.namedtuple, the signal handling/event loop fix, the
new floating point features dealing with infinities and NaNs.  None
are earth-shattering to me personally, but for the right audience they
might be very compelling.

So far I view 2.6 as a relatively cautious release, like 2.3.  (That
assessment may change once I research the numeric changes that just
went in.)  Most of the action has been in the surrounding tools, like
the new documentation format and the adoption of Roundup.

--amk